Sunday, October 28, 2012

A hole in the road (or sidewalk)

This past week has been quite an exciting one in ways that I am not too fond of. So many that it makes me think that last weekend was FOREVER ago.

First, a good family friend was in the hospital due to his heart just not wanting to cooperate and had to get a pacemaker placed. Everything went wonderfully, but still not an ideal situation. Tuesday, I saw one of my favorite patient's I have ever had the joy and privilege of caring for lose her battle to cancer. My heart is still broken for her and her family. She was such a strong, beautiful woman that lit up a room. And Wednesday threw a little bump in my own life, when I went for a run, stepped in a hole, and ended up doing a number on my "good"ankle. This has now resulted in me being on crutches until this coming Thursday.

Yes, I think less than ideal would describe this week perfectly. I am already itching to go do everything like normal, but realizing that I can't. Even grocery shopping is an issue because it is a little hard to do on your own when crutching around. I like to be independent, and the whole non-weight-bearing-on-my-right-leg is making that a little bit of a problem. So needless to say, I'm going to be going a little stir crazy until next week. And have really sore arms, because I've never had good upper body strength (heck that's why I like running so much).

As frustrated as I am, it makes me think back to high school and remember how I got bad ankles in the first place, playing basketball. Particularly, when I blew out my "bad" ankle out senior year and then re-injured it, but managed to hidden from my coach for two days (and start a game before he pulled me), because I really just didn't want to miss another conference game. Whoops. I still say it was worth it.

Funny enough,  I was able to see one of my best friends I played with on that team on Friday. We actually played every single season of basketball and volleyball together, from 7th grade through senior year. When I walked crutched into the restaurant and gave her a hug, she said, "I feel like you're always on crutches!" I replied, "Dani, it's been 6 years!"which made me first, feel OLD that it's been that long since high school, and secondly, make me very thankful to still be so close to her after all these years! (Love you!) Needless to say, we had a good laugh about it.

Until next week, I'll TRY to be a better patient than I was then. And I'd really like to get back to work, and back to running asap. And being independent.

I hope you all have had a good weekend! Now it's time for me to go to sleep, and PRAY that the Tigers don't get swept tomorrow..... EKK!

Night!



1 comment:

  1. You're so funny! You know, you could ToTALlY get away with using one of those electric carts in Meijers now! Just sayin.
    Mr. G is the one who is going stir crazy - at least you can drive, he's stuck with me as his only form of transportation right now.
    AND Shaun is stranded in DC for who knows how long.......
    ......so learn to roll with the punches & embrace life as it comes!!!
    Muah!

    ReplyDelete